Thursday, April 10, 2014

Griner v. Synovus Bank Settlement for Overdraft Fee

Are you charged extra fees on overdraft and ATM debit card transactions by Synovus Bank? Then file a claim on www.grinersettlement.com to get payment under Griner v. Synovus Bank Settlement.

The Synovus Bank is very well-known financial institute in Columbus that provides commercial and retail banking, investment and mortgage services, but the class action lawsuit has been filed against Synovus Bank on July 10, 2010, as customers of Synovus Bank claimed that bank overcharged on overdrafts, and ATM debit card transactions. The class action lawsuit has not been approved in courts, so it is not confirmed yet whether customers of bank will get payment or not. But when result comes in the favor of customers, they will get full refund. If bank overcharge you between July 10, 2004 and February 3, 2014, then you are eligible to file a claim at its official page GrinerSettlement.com.
Synovus Bank Settlement

If the Settlement will be approved after the final hearing, then Synovus bank will pay up to Twenty-Four Million Ten Thousand Dollars $24,010,000 to the Settlement Class, Class Representatives and Class Counsel. From this amount, $16,000,000 will be allocated to members of the Settlement Class, who have filed a claim and participated in the Settlement. It will not give money in the form of cash or check, but directly credit to the account of customers who still maintain an account at Synovus. If you are former customers and do not maintain an account at Synovus, then you will get payment through check after final hearing. However, in order to get refund from the Settlement funds, the Settlement Class members must submit a claim form in the given time frame.

When and how to file a claim?

All eligible customers can file their claim online at www.grinersettlement.com or by mailing forms. You can download claim form through official website. You must file your claim before June 5, 2014.

Eligibility Criteria:

All current or former Synovus account holders are eligible to file a claim if they have been charged extra overdraft fees or on transactions between July 10, 2004 and February 3, 2014, at least one Overdraft Fee that was drawn from a Georgia Account, and who were a citizen of Georgia as of July 30, 2010. If you have received any legal notice in the mail at your address, then you are eligible to file a claim.

Highlights of Griner v. Synovus Bank Settlement:

Case name: Thomas Griner, et al. v. Synovous Bank, et al., Case No. 10-C-11235-3, in the State Court of Gwinnett County, State of Georgia.

Official website: www.grinersettlement.com

Claims Administrator:
Griner Settlement
c/o GCG
PO Box 10042
Dublin, OH 43017-6642
Tel: (877) 916-8558
Class Period: 10th July, 2004 to 3rd February, 2014

Total Settlement Amount: $24,010,000

Important dates:
  • Submit claim form: Before 5th June, 2014
  • Exclusion Requests: 6th May, 2014
  • Submit Objections: Before 6th May, 2014
  • Settlement Fairness Hearing: 20th May, 2014
Settlement Class Counsel:
Michael B. Terry
Steven J. Rosenwasser
Bondurant, Mixson & Elmore, LLP
3900 One Atlantic Center
1201 West Peachtree St., NW
Atlanta, Georgia 30309-3417

Synovus Bank Counsel:
George W. Walker, III
Wade H. Tomlinson, III
Pope, McGlamry, Kilpatrick, Morrison & Norwood, P.C.
1111 Bay Avenue, Suite 450
Columbus, GA 31901

12 comments:

  1. when do we receive the refund from being charged overdrafts ive already mailed claims form beforetime frame was up but now have yet to be notified of anything ????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also submitted my claim by the date and haven't received a check....I think they have until Oct 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a rather large deposit in my checking account this morning listed as CREDIT MEMO GRINER OVERDRAFT, dated 10/06. I hope this is legit! I sent in the completed form before the deadline and forgot about it. I have a call in to the lawyer as I have received nothing in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received an enormous deposit today as well. I called the back to verify and was told it was the Griner settlement and is legit! Made my life!

      Delete
    2. I received a deposit with this description as well, curious if they were all the same amount or if it varied, it was a good chunk, but not sure i would consider it enormus. was also curious if it was legit, glad to hear it is, couldn't find anything on the website that indicated payment.

      Delete
    3. I got a check today too! It is for $1066. I was very surprised because I don't remember filling out anything.

      Delete
  4. I received a check for $128.00 even though I sent bank statements with almost $1700.00 in overdrafts. I have called and received no reply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has anyone received a 1099-MISC to use in tax preparation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received a 1099 Misc also. Do we have to pay taxes on this?

      Delete
  6. I haven't received a 1099 Misc...I was asking if anyone else had. When did you receive on? It's my understanding, from what little research I've done online, that you have to pay taxes on all class action settlements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bank sent me a corrected 2014 Form 1099-MISC. The original "Nonemployee compensation" amount was changed to 0.00. No income taxes are owed because this is a refund of the fees you paid with money that was already taxed. It is not income.

      Delete
    2. I'm doing my taxes now and just realized I had a corrected 1099-MISC that changed compensation to zero! So glad! I had wondered about the refund being fees and not really compensation. So glad I re-read the second form! Made a big difference in my taxes!

      Delete